St Stephen Basilica in Budapest is not only famous for its stunning architecture, but also for its classical music concerts: the short Monday Organ Concerts or the full evening Thursday Organ Concerts and the double organ and organist Friday Organ Concerts in Budapest. The organ concerts also feature singers, and trumpets.
The concert’s repertoire includes works of Albinoni, Bach, Caccini, Mozart, Schubert, Bizet, Gounod, Rachmaninoff, Cesar Franck and Ferenc Liszt (Franz Liszt, the Hungarian composer and pianist genius). Some of the best Hungarian organists perform along with other musicians and singers.
Dates of Budapest Basilica Friday Concerts in 2013
8 pm – 9:10 pm are the regular Friday concert hours
The dates of the 8 pm Friday Organ Concerts in St Stephen Basilica in 2013 are as follows:
January: no organ concerts in Jan on Fridays
February: no organ concerts in Feb on Fridays
March: no organ concerts in March on Fridays
May: 3. 10. 17. 24. 31.
June: 7. 14. 21. 28.
July: 5. 12. 19. 26
August: 2, 9, 16, 23, 30
September: 6, 13, 20, 27
October: 4, 11, 18, 25
November: 1, 8, 15, 22, 29
December: 6, 13, 20, 27
The Friday organ concerts start in the evening at 8 pm and finish at 9:10 pm. In other words, the Friday evening organ concerts in the Basilica in Budapest are 70 minute without intermission.
Programme of the Friday Organ Concerts at Budapest Basilica
- M. A. Charpentier (1643-1704): Te Deum – trumpet
- T. Albinoni (1671-1751): Adagio
- G. Caccini (1551-1618): Ave Maria
- J. S. Bach (1685-1750): Toccata and Fugue in D minor – Great Organ
- J. S. Bach: Air
- G. F. Händel (1685-1759): Water music – trumpet
- Ch. Gounod (1818-1893): Ave Maria
- J. S. Bach: Choral from the 147. cantata – trumpet
- Liszt Ferenc (1811-1886): Hosannah
- C. Franck (1822-1890): Panis angelicus
- H. Purcell (1659-1695): Trumpet voluntary – trumpet
- P. Mascagni (1863-1945): Ave Maria
- Ch. M. Widor (1844-1937): Toccata from the Organ Symphony – Great Organ
Tickets for the Organ Concerts with 10% Discount
Tickets to the Friday Organ Concerts can be bought at the Basilica or, if you wish to save with TopBudapest.org, you can buy your tickets 10% cheaper via online reservation.
Prices of tickets:
The entrance fees are divided into various sections in the Basilica. The prices are in Hungarian Forints (HUF), the official currency of Hungary.
Adult Ticket prices
- Category 3 tickets: HUF 4,500
- Category 2 tickets: HUF 6,000
- Category 1 tickets: HUF 7,000
Discount Tickets for Students and EU pensioners
- Category 3 tickets for Students / Pensioners: HUF 4,000
- Category 2 tickets for Students / Pensioners: HUF 5,500
- Category 1 tickets for Students / Pensioners: HUF 6,500
Further ideas for Things to do in Budapest
Performers of the Friday Organ Concerts in Budapest
2 organists on 2 organs in St Stephen’s Basilica!
Kornelia Bakos – mezzo-soprano
Lászlo Toth – trumpet
Andras Viragh – organ (Professor of Organ)
Andras Gabor Viragh – organ (the son of Andras Viragh organist)
Seating Plan of Budapest Organ Concerts on Fridays
Take a look at this beautiful piece: Andras Viragh Hungarian award winning organist playing Bach Toccata in D Minor: