The Black List of Bars, Night Clubs in Budapest, Hungary – Avoid
DO NOT go to these clubs, not even for a drink. There have been “multiple reports of victimization” received by the US Embassy in some of the following bars, while other bars got very very bad reviews and forum postings from fellow travellers. Most of the dangerous places are in fact night clubs. The striptease clubs of Budapest are concentrated in the very heart of the city, which is the 5th district, most notably along the pedestrian shopping street, Vaci utca.
There are truly humiliating and sad stories of victimized tourists in night clubs. Do not enter them even for a drink, as heavyweight bouncers and lap dancers will force you to leave incredible sums plus threaten your life. So do not fall for cheap drinks or live music promises either. Important: do not even enter the place. You may enter for free, but you will pay heavily for leaving the place (up to 3,000 euros or more). Even if your taxi drive tells you that he takes you to a wonderful night club in Budapest, think twice: he gets great commission for each referred client. Take it seriously, and AVOID these bars in Budapest, Hungary:
- Aphrodite Akropolis Club (address: Kecskemeti utca 17, Budapest) – shocking stories of abuse of Aphrodite Night Club
- Black and White Club, The (address: Galamb utca, Budapest)
- Caligula Bar (address: Szilagyi Erzsebet fasor 37-39. Budapest)
- Captain Jack’s Club, Budapest
- City Center Club and restaurant (address: Vaci utca, Budapest)
- Club Mephisto (address: Vaci utca, Budapest)
- Club Fair Play on (address: Ulloi ut 66/a, Budapest)
- Crazy Horse (address: Kiss Jozsef utca 4., Budapest)
- Diamond Club (address: Bimbo ut 3, Budapest)
- Dolce Vita, La (address: Oktober 6 utca 8., Budapest)
- Ecstacy Club (with ‘c’), Budapest
- Eden club (address: Andrassy ut. 54.) Most reviews mention: ‘overpriced’ ‘intimidated’ ‘not so nice’ ‘avoid’
- Flashdance (address: Vaci utca, Budapest)
- Fontana Cabaret (address: Vaci utca, Budapest)
- Fortuna Club (address: Fortuna utca 4., Budapest).
- Galaxia Restaurant, Bar (address: Becsi utca 3., Budapest)
- Grand Boulevard Club (address: Budapest)
- La Dolce Vita (address: Oktober 6 utca 8., Budapest)
- Lola (the same as Nirvana) (address: Szent Istvan korut, Budapest)
- Mambo Club (address: Hegyalja ut 2., Budapest)
- Mercy Club and Lounge (address: Dohany utca 88., Budapest)
- Milady Bar (address: Szent Istvan korut. 15, Budapest)
- Muskatli Espresso (address: Regos utca 8., Budapest)
- Nirvana Club (address: Szent Istvan korut, Budapest)
- Pigalle Night Club (address: Kiss Jozsef utca 1-3., Budapest)
- Piccolo bar (address: Vaci utca, Budapest)
- Regi posta – Fortuna Band (address: Regi Posta utca 5-7., Budapest – only with outside elevator)
- Showgirls Nightclub
- Sweet Milk (address: Hold utca 13., Budapest)
- Table Dance
- The Black and White Club (address: Galamb utca, Budapest)
- Tiamo Nightclub (address: Ferenc korut 19-21., Budapest
- Torony Eatery
- Tropical Bar is the same as The Black and White Club (address: Galamb utca, Budapest)
- Varoskozpont (address: Vaci utca 16., Budapest)
- Zug-Love (address: Bonyhadi ut 141., Budapest)
List last updated in August, 2009.
And after the long list of night clubs and striptease bars where not to go in Budapest, one of the blog commenters suggested three places where you could go without getting ripped off: “I recommend to go to a) Marylins, b) Hallo Bar or c) Royal Palace.”That is: Marylin Table Dance Club (address: Baross utca 4., Budapest), Hallo Bar (address: Kiraly utca 65, Budapest), Royal Palace Bar (address: Gyori ut 17., Budapest). You can find more votes Strip Clubs on sexiside.hu.
Definitely DO NOT DO: Further Budapest warnings
- Do not have valuables with you. Learn from general Budapest warnings.
- Do not travel unprepared. Save the Budapest crime emergency phone numbers to learn how to contact the Hungarian Police just in case.
- Do not stay near the Parliament and the Heroes’ Square on Hungarian national holidays
- Do not take marijuana, drugs in Budapest. What about alcohol?
- Do not go to dangerous night clubs in Budapest.
- Do not hail down a taxi in Budapest.
- Do not buy HUF / Forint from a street vendor in Budapest.
- Do not board Budapest public transport vehicles without a ticket.
- Do not cross the road without checking the traffic in Budapest.
- Do not expect some cultural conveniences in Budapest
- Do not take valuables with you to Baths in Budapest – or preferably in the city.
- Do not go to Budapest Airport unprepared – there are 2 Budapest terminals – approx. 5 min car travel from each other: even though T1 is getting closed, T2 is a bus stop away from T1 train station.
- Do not go to touristy restaurants in Budapest – to eat pricey food of lower quality.
Check out Budapest FAQ for more useful tips!
Share your own Budapest experience whether it was a fantastic trip, a negative experience or a pleasant surprise. Send your Budapest photos, tips to TopBudapest [at] gmail [dot] com, or simply comment below.