Exhibitions – Art Events in Budapest – May 2012
- Cirque du Soleil, Alegría – Cirque du Soleil in Budapest performing “a dramatic mix of circus arts and street entertainment” at Papp Laszlo Sportarena in Budapest, May 17 at 8 pm, May 18 at 8 pm, May 19 at 4 pm and at 8 pm, May 20 at 5 pm
- The Human Body – exhibition from May 1 until May 27 at Vaci1 Business Centre, in Vaci Street Budapest.
- The Birth of Art Photography – From Pictorialism to Modern Photography 1889-1929 exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest (throughout May. Note, the museum is open on May 1 (Labour Day, national holiday) but there is a technical break for 2 days: the Museum of Fine Arts is closed on May 5 and 6! )
Janos Megyik: The Space of the Image exhibition at Ludwig Museum Budapest (until June 10, 2012): Megyik’s works are somewhere on the boundary between painting, sculpture and architecture
- Prize winning Hungarian crafts – temp exhibition of traditional handcrafted things in the Budapest Museum of Agriculture (in the Vajdahunyad Castle by Heroes square), from April 27 to May 20
- Erker Studio – Hans Hartung, Antoni Tàpies and Günther Uecker etc. – St Gallen Adventures at the Museum of Fine Arts, Budapest (throughout May)
- Société Réaliste: Empire, State, Building exhibition at Ludwig Museum Budapest. The main themes are political design, experimental economics, territorial ergonomics and the so-called ‘social engineering consulting’.
Artsy Things to Do in Budapest
If you are also interested in buying handmade design objects, works of art made by Hungarian artists, you may wish to visit the
- WAMP Design Fair on Elisabeth square (Erzsebet ter, right next to the heart of Budapest, Deak square)
- GOUBA Bazaar in Gozsdu court (Gozsdu udvar) in the old Jewish district of Budapest, close to Deak square
- Eventuell art design shop and art gallery close to the Central Market Hall and Vaci utca shopping street
- Some of the quirky and must see ‘ruin pubs’ (romkocsmak) also have flea markets, bazaars by day, e.g. Szimplakert