Being a tourist in a far away country may seem intimidating,
especially if it is your first trip to the Central/ Eastern countries of Europe, many of which formed part of the Communist Soviet block, locked away from the world in a nightmarish Big Brother land behind the thick and suffocating Iron Curtain.
If you are a tourist with no Hungarian friends, relations, you may find the the following phone numbers useful to have in your mobile phone with you (just in case, better to have them, and not having to use them, than panicking in an unexpected emergency situation).
Emergency Phone Numbers
The emergency contact numbers, and some of the most useful phone numbers in Budapest, Hungary are as follows:
- Ambulance: 104 (in English: 00-36-1-311-1666)
- Police: 107
- Fire Department: 105
Useful Phone Numbers
- Taxi numbers: see a list of trustworthy Budapest taxi services here.
- Departing Flights: 00-36-1-296-7000
- Arriving Flights: 00-36-1-296-8000
- Local listings: 189 (from any phone)
- International listings: 199 (from any phone)
- American Citizen Services after-hours (5 p.m.-8 a.m.) emergency phone number: (36-1) 475-4703/4924.
- Pizza in Budapest for home delivery: see a list of popular pizza services here. Pizza: (Don Pepe): 00-36-1-332-2954; 00-36-1-310-2986. Theo Papa with nonstop food delivery in Budapest: 00-36-479-0-479
Last updated: October 2012