Budapest Bike Rentals: Where Can You Rent a Bicycle?
OK, so you want to rent a bike in Budapest? Make your bike rental decision informed. Riding a bike in Budapest is fun and not fun: conditions are not so much acceptable presently, although Budapest could potentially offer one of the greatest urban cycling experiences ever. Once the bike culture will be even more improved (more careful drivers, a lot more biking routes)… and cycling in Budapest will be in the top ten things to do in Budapest!
Attitude towards biking in Budapest has changed a lot in the past few years, the Critical Mass movement has grown stronger than ever, and luckily, more and more Budapest pubs and bars offer bike parking facilities, especially the so called ruin pubs. So enjoy it, but don’t expect to have conditions like in Amsterdam. Here’s a pic from Budapest Critical Mass 🙂
Good to know:
- Geography: Budapest has two parts. Buda is hilly and Pest is totally flat, easy to bike. In some places there are quite good bike routes along the river Danube, mostly on the Buda side
- Public transport with bike: you cannot travel on the metro= underground with bike. On trains you must buy a ticket for your bike (nominal fee, but a must).
- Biking routes: bike routes are oftentimes shared with pedestrians, who are not used to speeding bikers, please be careful.
- Cars vs. Bikes: car drivers don’t really like bikers (euphemism), and unfortunately won’t typically yield to bikers or pedestrians – again, be careful.
- Bike thieves: unlike in the Netherlands, for instance, you should NOT leave your bike unlocked – it will disappear in a moment. Lock it safely, lock it well.
There are some bike rental places in Budapest (some ask for a deposit). The ones that are conveniently located are the following:
BikeBase bicycle rental offers a wide range of bikes, from MTBs to city cruisers, plus you can also rent customized biking tours in Budapest.
- Bikes: from mountain bikes through city cruisers to children’s bikes, something to suit all ages and styles.
- Extras: (included in the price) helmet, locks, tour tips, map, if outside Budapest: panniers, repair tool kit
- Address: Podmaniczky utca 19, 1065 Budapest
- Phone: 00-36-70-625-85-01 or 00-36-1-269-59-83
- Opening hours: 9 am – 7 pm (earlier or later too, if arranged via phone)
- Rental prices:
17 EUR (5 500 HUF) for 24h
24.5 EUR (7 800 HUF) for 48h
Special price for longterm rent. If you cannot pick up or return the bike to the shop, for a nominal fee, Bike Base will collect or deliver anywhere within Budapest city limits.
Besides renting bikes here, the guys at Budapest Bike also promise to take you to places you should not but might miss, to help with avoiding tourist traps while in Budapest, to point out where to go and what to see. You can also rent biking tours here or Pub Crawl bike tours. Bikes can be rented for 3 or more days 3000HUF /day and you can hire tandem bikes too for HUF 8000/ day.
- Bikes: Gepida Alboin’s (women’s & men’s)
- Extras: (included in the price) helmet, chain, lock and limited insurance as stated in the rental contract.
- Address: Wesselenyi u. 18. Budapest 1077
- Phone: 00-36-30-944-5533
- Rental Prices:
1 day: 4000HUF/ if you book on the same day HUF 3000
2 days: 6000HUF
3 or more days 3000HUF/day
Budapest Tourist Map shows the different bike rental locations (check the green bicycle map icon)
View Larger Map
BringoHinto rental offers bikes and bike carts or kids cars, etc. on Margitsziget (Margaret Island).
- Bikes: mountain & city bikes, adult and kid bike carts
- Address: Hajos Alfred setany 1., Budapest 1138
- Phone: 00-36-329-2746
Free Riders bike rental, Budapest
Free Riders bicycle rental is close to Petofi Bridge, so you can take a ride to the Palace of Arts, to Rakoczi Bridge, etc.
- Bikes: not specified
- Extras: helmet, lock, basket container, etc.
- Address: Lonyay street 60. Budapest, District IX. (close to Petofi Bridge on the Pest side)
- Phone: 00-36-30 816 4192 or 00-36 30 816 4192
- Opening hours: Mon-Fri 14.00-18.00, closed at the weekend
Some useful Cycling words in Hungarian:
- bike: bringa (brin-gah), bico (bits-oh), bicaj (bi-tsoi)
- bicycle: kerekpar (care-ache-phaar)
- wheel: kerek (care-ache)
- pump: pumpa (poom-pah)
- lock: lakat (lock-ot)
- to rent: berel (bay-rel)
Please help me to update the info. Thanks.
Last updated: May 29, 2018